Health visitors are Registered Nurses who have completed additional specialist training. They work as part of local ‘0-19’ nursing teams, who work with children and young people up to 19 years (up to 25 for young people with additional needs) and their families.
Families with a preschool child are normally allocated a health visitor and a community nursery nurse.
The 0-19 teams work with families to identify any health needs early on and to give support with parenting and health advice. Their support starts with the ‘antenatal contact’ when expectant parents will be invited to meet their health visitor at around the 28th week of pregnancy.
The team’s support continues until your child goes to school, when our school nurses will become your main service for support with parenting and health matters.
The health visiting teams work in a variety of settings, including child health clinics (which may be held in Children’s Centres) and homes.
Our health visiting services include:
- Community support – your community has a range of services including some Sure Start services (Children’s Centres) and some voluntary and community-led services. Our health visiting team will help ensure you know about these services so you have access to a wide range of support when you become a parent
- Universal services for all families – your local health visiting team provides the national ‘Healthy Child Programme’ to ensure a healthy start for your children and family. The 0-19 team offers help and advice on a range of topics, such as infant feeding, growth and development, introducing family foods and childhood immunisations. They will also provide parenting support and access to other community services such as Children's Centres.
- Universal plus services for families needing greater support – if you or your family need specific expert help, our 0-19 team will be able to signpost you to specialist services or offer additional support such parent/infant mental health services, including baby massage.
- Universal partnership plus services for families dealing with more complex issues that need coordinated support from different services and organisations – we can provide ongoing support and access to a range of local services that will work with you to deal with more complex issues over a period of time. These include services from Children’s Centres and Children's Services and other community services including charities and voluntary organisations, such as Home Start.
Our Health Visitor Advice Lines provide support for families and carers on all aspects of child health, development and parenting. This includes feeding, an unsettled baby, management of minor illnesses, child development and behaviour, immunisations and concerns about the emotional wellbeing of parents and carers.
Teams and contact details
Mid Surrey Team (for families living in the Banstead, Dorking, East Elmbridge, Epsom, Ewell, Leatherhead and Tattenham boroughs)
Health Visitor Advice Line
9.30am - 1pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 020 8979 6464
|Banstead and Tattenham 0-19 Team||Tattenham Health Centre|
|Dorking 0-19 Team||Medwyn Centre||01372 384 300|
|East Elmbridge 0-19 Team||Molesey Clinic||020 8979 6464|
|Epsom and Ewell 0-19 Team||Epsom Clinic||01372 730 040|
|Leatherhead 0-19 Team||Leatherhead Clinic||01372 384 300
East Surrey Team (for families living in the Redhill, Reigate, Merstham, Horley, Oxted, Caterham and Lingfield boroughs)
Health Visitor Advice Line:
8am to 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 01883 340 922
|East Surrey||Caterham Dene Hospital||01883 340 922
West Surrey Team (for families living in the Woking, Guildford, Runnymede, Spelthorne, West Elmbridge, Surrey Heath and Waverley boroughs)
|North West Surrey area||
|Woking Team||Goldsworth Park Health Centre||01483 794885|
|Runnymede North Team||The Grove Community Health Centre, Egham||01483 783505|
|Runnymede South Team||Addlestone Health Centre||01932 846263|
|Surrey Heath Team||Berkshire Road Clinic||01483 782802|
|South West Surrey area|
|Guildford & Waverley North Team||The Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783288|
|Enuresis Team||The Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783193|
|Guildford & Waverley East Teams||East Horsley Medical Centre||01483 284544|
|Send Villages Medical Centre||01483 211127|
|Cranleigh Team||01483 782440|
|Guildford & Waverley West Teams||Ash Vale Health Centre and Farnham Hospital||01483 782093|
|Guildford & Waverley South Team||Milford Hospital||01483 782631|
|North East Surrey area|
|Spelthorne Team||Ashford Clinic||01784 883728|
|West Elmbridge Teams||Weybridge and Walton
The Health Visitor advice and booking line is available from Monday to Friday 9am to 3 pm on: 01932 414 149.
Attendance at all baby clinics is by appointment only: Weybridge Children Centre, Burhill Children Centre, Walton Children Centre and Walton Health Centre.
To cancel, change or rebook a missed appointment, please call the Health Visiting Team who will be more than happy to help you.
Sure Start Children’s Centres in your local community offer advice and support for families. We work in partnership with Children's Centres to provide services including: breastfeeding support, and information about nutrition and healthy lifestyles from pregnancy and beyond.
Promoting Emotional Wellbeing: Learn how to grow your baby’s brain
For further information
- To follow up a referral
For example, for developmental paediatrics or therapy services such as speech and language therapy. Contact the One Stop referral centre (tel: 0300 222 5755, Option 2) and they will be able to advise.
- For advice or questions about your child's health
- 2 year development checks
- Referrals for ASD, ADHD or another neurological/developmental condition
Your GP will need to make a referral. Visit the Developmental Paediatrician service page for more information about these services in Surrey.
- Access to mental health services
Your GP needs to refer your child via MINDSIGHT Surrey CAHMS
- Hearing concerns
Contact the Audiology service
- Concerns or complaints about a Children and Family Health Surrey service
If your query is not covered by the routes above, please use the form below to contact us. Your query will be passed to the relevant team who will aim to respond within 7 working days.