The Parent-Infant Mental Health Service, known as PIMHS, works with parents expecting a baby and with babies up to the age of one year. We are a small team of specialist health visitors, child psychotherapists and perinatal therapists.
We build on the strengths of parents while recognising the challenges they face in developing a positive relationship with their infant. We support parents when they struggle to relate to or have any positive feelings about their babies.
We help parents who may have difficult feelings during pregnancy and in the weeks after the baby has been born.
How we can help you
If you are expecting a baby or have a baby less than a year old and are finding it difficult to develop a positive relationship with your baby, the PIMHS team may be able to help.
We provide a safe space for you to think about the relationship you have with your baby. We may encourage you to play with and talk to your baby. Sometimes it’s helpful to try to think about how your baby is feeling and what your baby might be trying to tell you through his/ her sounds and body movements. Filming the positive parts of these sessions for you to watch later can be helpful.
Children can be referred by their health visitor, GP, therapist, early years' service, paediatricians based in the local acute or tertiary hospital, paediatric audiology, CAMHS or other agencies.
Referrals are made via the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, a centralised referral and triage service for Surrey's specialist children's services that was launched in July 2017.
The three ways to refer are:
1. Through the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop online portal https://sabpsecure.beaconhealthoptions.co.uk/. This is the same portal as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
2. Call the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop on 0300 222 5755. Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. This is the same number as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
3. Write to Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, c/o Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, 1st Floor, Dominion House, Woodbridge Road, Guildford GU1 4PU.
For more information about the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop service, visit https://www.childrenshealthsurrey.nhs.uk/services/...
What people using PIMHS have said about our service
“This has helped me to know how to be with my baby.'
“I really enjoyed having a ‘safe’ place to talk about things and hearing other people’s issues and feeling I am not the only one.”
“Thank you so much, you have truly helped me to grow my bond with my baby, I couldn’t have done it without this help. Everything seems to back on track again. Thank you.”
For further information
- To follow up a referral
For example, for developmental paediatrics or therapy services such as speech and language therapy. Contact the One Stop referral centre (tel: 0300 222 5755, Option 2) and they will be able to advise.
- For advice or questions about your child's health
- 2 year development checks
- Referrals for ASD, ADHD or another neurological/developmental condition
Your GP will need to make a referral. Visit the Developmental Paediatrician service page for more information about these services in Surrey.
- Access to mental health services
Your GP needs to refer your child via MINDSIGHT Surrey CAHMS
- Hearing concerns
Contact the Audiology service
- Concerns or complaints about a Children and Family Health Surrey service
If your query is not covered by the routes above, please use the form below to contact us.