The service is a consultant led medical service for children and young people with conditions that require assessment, to identify the impact of health problems on function and developmental progress. Assessment of development relates to physical, sensory, intellectual, social and emotional development.
The Developmental Paediatric Service works closely with other professionals, such as therapists, nurses, teachers and social workers to ensure a cohesive and joined up approach is in place for the child/young person and their family.
Referrals are accepted for children and young people aged 0-19 (where a child is in full time education) and registered with a Surrey or North East Hampshire GP.
Exceptions to this are:
• Children aged 6yrs and over where a diagnosis is being considered (or has been given) of either ADHD or ASD. Children who live in NE Hants are referred to Psicon and those in the rest of Surrey to CAMHS (Surrey and Borders Partnership: SABP).
• Referrals for children under 5 years who are registered with a GP practice in Guildford borough access developmental services via the Royal Surrey County Hospital Child Development Centre.
• Referrals for children who are registered with GPs in the boroughs of Mole Valley, Epsom and Ewell, Reigate and Banstead (north of the M25) access developmental services via Epsom General Hospital.
Children and young people supported by the service have or may have:
• Developmental delay or disorder
• Neurological disability
• Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) (under 6yrs)
• Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (under 6yrs)
• Cerebral palsy
• Severe learning difficulties (SLD) and/or complex needs (may be seen in school)
• Statutory medicals for looked after children and adoption
• Statutory medicals for Special Educational Needs (SEN) assessment
• Medical examination where there is suspected child abuse (referrals should be made to Social Services as per the Surrey Safeguarding Children’s Board guidance).
Children can be referred by their health visitor, GP, therapist, early years' service, paediatricians based in the local acute or tertiary hospital, paediatric audiology, CAMHS or other agencies. Referrals are made via the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, a centralised referral and triage service for Surrey's specialist children's services that was launched in July 2017.
The three ways to refer are:
- Through the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop online portal https://sabpsecure.beaconhealthoptions.co.uk/. This is the same portal as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
- Call the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop on 0300 222 5755. Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. This is the same number as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
- Write to Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, c/o Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, 1st Floor, Dominion House, Woodbridge Road, Guildford GU1 4PU.
For more information about the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop service, visit https://www.childrenshealthsurrey.nhs.uk/services/...
Teams and contact details
North West Surrey
For children registered with a GP in the boroughs of Woking, Runnymede, Spelthorne, West and East Elmbridge and Surrey Heath:
|Goldsworth Park Health Centre||01483 728 201|
South West Surrey
For children over 5 years who are registered with a GP in the boroughs of Guildford:
|Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783 285|
Children under 5 years who are registered with a GP practice in Guildford & Waverley boroughs should continue to access developmental services via the Royal Surrey County Hospital Child Development Centre.
East and mid SurreyFor children registered with a GP in the boroughs of Tandridge, Reigate and Banstead south of the M25, and part of Mole Valley:
|Maple House Children's Centre, East Surrey Hospital||01737 768 511 or 6873/4|
Developmental paediatrician services for children registered with GPs in the boroughs of Mole Valley, Epsom and Ewell, and Reigate and Banstead north of the M25 are provided by paediatricians employed by Epsom General Hospital.
North East Hampshire
For children registered with a GP in the borough of Rushmoor:
|Theta Centre||01276 454 140/ 01276 454 email@example.com|