Developmental Paediatricians (previously known as Community Paediatricians) work closely with children, young people and their families and carers to identify and manage health problems that may be affecting a child’s developmental progress. We work with other professionals, such as therapists, nurses, teachers and social workers.
The consultant-led service accepts referrals for children and young people aged between 0 and 16 years (or 19 if in special education) who are registered with Surrey GPs. The service also supports families with children aged 0-19 years who are registered with GPs in South West Surrey and North East Hampshire, specifically in Aldershot, Farnborough, Fleet and Yateley, although does not support those with ASD or ADHD in these areas).
Children and young people supported by the service have or may have:
- Developmental delay or disorder
- Neurological disability
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Cerebral palsy
- Severe learning difficulties (SLD) and/or complex needs (may be seen in school)
- Statutory medicals for looked after children and adoption
- Statutory medicals for Special Educational Needs (SEN) assessment
- Medical examination where there is suspected child abuse (referrals should be made to Social Services as per the Surrey Safeguarding Children’s Board guidance).
We may see children attending school locally but registered with other GPs, or transfer children to services local to their home or school outside our area if this is more appropriate.
Children can be referred by their health visitor, GP, therapist, early years' service, paediatricians based in the local acute or tertiary hospital, paediatric audiology, CAMHS or other agencies. Referrals are made via the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, a centralised referral and triage service for Surrey's specialist children's services that was launched in July 2017.
The three ways to refer are:
- Through the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop online portal https://sabpsecure.beaconhealthoptions.co.uk/. This is the same portal as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
- Call the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop on 0300 222 5755. Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. This is the same number as the CAMHS Mindsight One Stop service
- Write to Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop, c/o Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, 1st Floor, Dominion House, Woodbridge Road, Guildford GU1 4PU.
For more information about the Children and Family Health Surrey One Stop service, visit https://www.childrenshealthsurrey.nhs.uk/services/...
Teams and contact details
North West Surrey
For children registered with a GP in the boroughs of Woking, Runnymede, Spelthorne, West and East Elmbridge and Surrey Heath:
|Goldsworth Park Health Centre||01483 728 201|
South West Surrey
registered with a GP in the boroughs of Guildford and Waverley:
|Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783 285|
North East Hampshire
For children registered with a GP in the boroughs of Rushmoor and parts of the district of Hart:
|Theta Centre, Frimley||01276 454 140 / 01276 454 email@example.com|
East SurreyFor children registered with a GP in the boroughs of Tandridge, Reigate and Banstead south of the M25, and part of Mole Valley:
|Maple House Children's Centre, East Surrey Hospital||01737 768 511 or 6873/4|
The boroughs of Mole Valley, Epsom and Ewell, and Reigate and Banstead north of the M25 are covered by the paediatricians employed by Epsom General Hospital.